Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ctrl+Z! Undo spraypaint! NOOOOOO!!!!!

    I recently discovered that spraypainting models is not as easy as it sounds. The story starts 1 week back...
    Last weekend, my aunt said she would pay me & my brother $10 an hour if we helped her move furniture from her storage locker to her house. It ended up taking ~2.5 hours, but she was generous and paid us both $30. Sadly, I had already gone to HobbyHouse that weekend.
    So, I had to keep my money for a week. That didn't go as well as planned: I spent (on average) $2 on vending machines per day.
    But, when the next weekend came around, I got my allowance, $10, and was back to $30 for HobbyHouse. When I got there, I intended to get the first 3 models for "My Favorites" collection. However, I had trouble deciding, and before I could choose just 3, my dad suggested I buy some paint: PanzerGrau (Which I am in a serious shortage of) Spraypaint. So I got ANOTHER 1/76 Tiger I, a 1/76 JagdPanther, and the spraypaint. And that was all my $30.
    It started off bad. The 10th-ish piece I clipped off the sprue went flying, bounced 3 times (at least, 3 times I could hear), and landed in a place that remains unknown. I have it listed as MIA. But, I went on building (Jagdpanthers don't need all 24 roadwheels, 23 should work just as well, shouldn't it?). I finished the Tiger I with no trouble. But that's probably because I got so much practice with the first four...
    Anyways, when I got to the painting, things got much worse. I went out in my backyard to spraypaint, and started. However, the paint went on either too thickly, thinly, or unevenly.
    Recently, I decided to try scraping the paint off, and between a knife and some sandpaper I managed to remove quite a bit of paint. However, in the process I also accidentally severed the Jagdpanther's main gun barrel and machinegun barrel. However, that allowed me to also perfect any external glue drips.

You can't really see from this picture, but the supposedly flat color looks like camoflage.


1 comment:

  1. I think the paint went on too thick. I'll help on your next try.

    ReplyDelete